Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Surreal World - Chernivtsi

While I am using the hotel's business center for most of my Internet work this trip, Wally took me to another Internet cafe yesterday (though I'm not sure if it is correct to call it a cafe since they serve no food or drink).

The name of the place is Chicago and is operated by a former Chicagoan who was Ukrainian born, but raised in the city it seems, at leased based on his accent. His wife is Ukrainian and they moved back here about five years ago.

He does have a Chicago Cubs poster up on the wall, but he admitted that he was a Cardinals fan. Something about liking to root for teams that have a chance at the World Series.

His place is located in what appears to be a new building tucked away in an inner courtyard in the historic downtown area of Chernivtsi. While I was checking e-mail a familiar tune came into the second floor window near where I worked. It took me a minute to realize that I actually recognized it. Surreally, it was three street musicians playing "Hello Dolly".

No comments: