Thursday, July 10, 2008

Welcome to the Cheremosh

These aren't the greatest images but simply the best I could find online.

This is the Hotel Cheremosh in Chernivtsi - our base of operations in the city so far for every mission trip since 1993. It's located on the south end of the city — "not far" from the city center as they advertise, but certainly not close.

It's 11 stories with 326 rooms. Each room as a TV, phone and private bathroom. Other amenities that it offers but which we've never used except the currency exchange is a hairdressers' salon, sauna, post office and secure parking service.

Sometime between our trip two summers ago and last fall it opened a business center on the main floor with high-speed internet which I plan on using to update this blog.

Here's the lobby. The front desk is on the right and the bank of elevators down at the end of the hall.

You can barely see the open staircase on the right side of the picture. That goes up to the in-house travel agency and the currency exchange which overlooks the lobby below.

Between the stairs and the front desk is a hall that goes back to the business center.

Here's the type of rooms that we've used every trip. As you can tell they are pretty basic. They also (usually) include a small refrigerator as well as a private bathroom.

We're cheap and we get the basic rooms. The hotel does provide better accommodations, though they are just as dated.

When I was here last fall I was told they were upgrading some of the rooms and trying to go from a three star hotel to a four star hotel. They even had a red carpet running up the front entrance and the staff were in new uniforms. It also seemed that there were more of them who spoke or at least understood English.

I'll leave with you with one last picture. This is the pool, which I had never seen until I ran across this picture.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

From Marleeta . . . I left a comment on the first "blog" about "on the road again." I didn't see the others until later. I am so glad to know that you are there. The pictures are beautiful. I am excited for all of you. Thanks for keeping us posted on the "blog." Rebekah, Katelyn, my mom and dad, and I are headed to the River Walk in San Antonio. Then we will meet my childhood friend, Amy and have dinner with her. I hope things are going well for all of you. I know Matt missed my singing . . . .bubba bubbling . . . . HA. Marleeta

Brian said...

I am REALLY glad to hear of your safe arrival. It has only taken me a couple of days to figure out how to get hooked up so I could post a comment. Since I have not heard any special reports on TV, I will assume there was no need for any acts of heroism during the plane ride:)
Tell Virginia and Matt I love and miss them. Be safe Brian

Wanda Brandon said...

Thanks for spreading the word in a land where Christianity has been stiffled under the old Soviet Union.Say hello to Bettie Dugger, my sister. We are sending up prayers to carry you to success.

El Gato Limon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you all made it safe and sound. Tell Joey Wagner and Kara Baker we said hello and we are praying for you all and the people of the Ukraine. God's blessings on your team.